Liberation Theatre Company Writing Residency Program 2023/24
Liberation Theatre Company (LTC) is proud to present our sixth year of The Writing Residency Program 2023 - 2024; furthering our commitment to the development of new Black playwrights for the American theatre.
It is a rare opportunity burgeoning playwrights have to hone their craft under their own vision through provided resources from an organization that only seeks to uplift their voices. For that I owe Liberation Theater Company an unlimited amount of gratitude. Nathaniel Johnson - Residency Playwright 2017/18
We will select four early-career playwrights and provide them with dramaturgical and professional support over a ten-month period, during which time they will each be required to complete a new full-length play.
Beginning in May 2023, selected playwrights will attend monthly group meetings to share and refine their works-in-progress in a collaborative, energized setting; meet individually with LTC’s Artistic Director and staff who will provide additional support for their artistic needs, concerns and process; and have the resources of a director and professional actors during a table reading as their play begins to take shape.
Additionally, through connections with the larger New York City theatrical community, LTC will provide access to theatre tickets (when available) and seek to support, inspire, and assist playwrights in any way a small and dedicated company can.
The Residency will conclude in February 2024 with the possibility of public readings of each playwright’s finished play. Upon successful completion of the program, each playwright will receive an honorarium.
To be considered for the Writing Residency Program all applicants must be a) residents of New York City at the time of participation (May 2023 – February 2024). b) Applicants must have written a full-length play or at least two one-act plays. The applicant must not have received a production of any of their work that was more developed than a Showcase presentation under the Actors’ Equity Association production code.
Application Submission Procedure
To be considered for the 2023 - 2024 Writing Residency Program, Liberation Theatre Company will only accept submissions via this online form. If you have questions about the program or the application process, please email: email@example.com.
The following materials must be uploaded and submitted in PDF form no later than 11:59 PM EST on Friday, March 31, 2023. Make sure that all documents are properly labeled with your name.
1. Completed Online Application Form
2. Letter of Intent. This should be limited to 1,000 words and address all of the following points:
- Your writing career thus far and where you feel you are in your creative and professional life
- Your career goals and how you will use the Residency to further those goals
- Briefly describe the play you will complete over the 10-month program
- Why you feel ready for a rigorous residency such as this
- Have you participated in a residency/fellowship before? If so, describe your experience.
- Anything else you think may be relevant
3. A full-length or one-act play.
4. Your playwriting resume (not a bio). Be sure to list your full-length plays or at least two one-act plays that you've written.
5. Please include one personal or professional letter of recommendaton.
6. Please write an original 10-minute play (8-10 pages. 1 page = 1 minute) Ripped from the Headlines; based on a current news report. Include one character who is often interrupted or says no more than five (5) words. Reference on the cover page of your 10-minute play that this is indeed original work and reference or provide a link to the headline.